11.7.09

Cd of the Week 1: The Crane Wife

Hello and good day everyone. I figured that would start a tradition that every Saturday I would chose a C.D. and make everyone who reads this listen to it. The first C.D. I've chosen is The Crane Wife by the Decemberists.
This is a very folky c.d. The vocals have a bristish nasally feel to it, but it works well in the songs they play. Though I have to say Colin Meloy (the singer/acoustic guitarist) can't change the sound or pitch of his voice at all which bothers me greatly. Also there is no subtlety in the music whatsoever. All the metaphors and similes are so obvious that it leaves very little left to the imagination. I realize that folk music rarely has a hidden meaning, but in the songs that are supposed to have those hidden meanings, The Decemberists paint the message in neon paint and shout it out to the world. But if you like music where the lyrics explain everything to you. this is the perfect C.D. for you.
The songs are almost all stories of love and tragedy and the such. The riffs are really addictive and get stuck in your head. But they are calming and easy to remember so you won't go insane. I should point out that this is the best "I feel sad and lonely and I want music to help me really cry" C.D.
My favorite song off of this C.D. is Yankee Bayonet (I Will Be Home Then). Laura Veirs guest stars and it is really up beat compared to the rest of this C.D. I think the harmonious duet really enforces the lost love aspect of the song.
So I suggest you check it out. The following video is the title track, The Crane Wife 1 & 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment